Admission Criteria to the MS program
- Please review the Graduate Admission Criteria and follow the steps provided on the SDSU Graduate Admissions website: http://arweb.sdsu.edu/es/admissions/grad/index.html
- All applicants to the program must first fill out an online application on Cal State Apply (calstate.edu/apply) and pay the required fee by the deadline set by SDSU Graduate Admissions Office. An SDSU RED ID Number will then be assigned which allows tracking of application status online.
- When applying, please be sure to should choose one of the five areas of specialization within the Civil Engineering stream (Construction, Geotechnical, Structural, Transportation, or Water Resources Engineering) or the concentration area in Environmental Engineering.
- Students should then submit their addendum application on Decision Desk - SDSU's online application for Graduate Programs. Both the Cal State Apply and Decision Desk applications are required to complete the application process. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
- After submitting the application, applicant should send official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended. GRE (and if applicable, TOEFL) test scores should be sent directly from ETS (Institution Code: 4682). Official test scores and transcripts must be received by the deadline set by SDSDU Graduate Admissions Office.
Send to: |
Graduate Admissions Document Processing Unit
San Diego State University
San Diego, CA 92182-7416
- Applicants are also required to provide a Statement of Purpose (SOP). The SOP must describe your goal(s) for the graduate study program, along with relevant background information and detailing the applicant should be admitted to the graduate program. The SOP should not exceed 500 words total.
DO NOT SENT DOCUMENTS TO THE DEPARTMENT, THEY SHOULD BE UPLOADED TO DECISION DESK OR MAILED (IF APPROPRIATE) TO ENROLLMENT SERVICES PER THE INFORMATION NOTED ABOVE.
- The applicant must also identify three professional individuals who know the applicant's scholastic abilities, relevant research activities/projects, or related work experience. These three individuals should be invited by the applicant to submit their professional reference letter through Decision Desk.
Do not mail these letters to the Department, they are only accepted as part of your application submitted via Decision Desk.
To be considered for admission to the MS program, a graduate applicant must meet the minimum Department (listed below) and SDSU eligibility requirements listed in the Graduate Bulletin as well as the CCEE requirements. Admission to MS program at CCEE primarily depends on GPA and GRE scores.
- The minimum GPA is 2.85 for US students, and 3.0 for international students.
- TOEFL requirements are imposed by the University, and the minimum score is 80 for the TOEFL internet based score or 6.5 for the IELTS.
- We use GRE as a floating criterion; the minimum varies from year to year. We expect higher GRE if GPA is near the minimum, and vice versa. The minimum required combined GRE score, based on the new GRE scale, will likely be around 305 and 3.5 for analytical writing.
The admission criteria for students with Bachelor of Science degrees in CCEE and those with non-CCEE degrees are the same, primarily depending on GRE and GPA. However, applicants with non-CCEE degrees are always admitted "Conditionally" since they are required to clear undergraduate CCEE courses as prerequisites.
The list of these undergraduate courses that need to be taken by such "conditionally" admitted students are determined by the CCEE Graduate Advisor after admission and after reviewing the students' transcripts.
Students with undergraduate degrees similar to CCEE are likely to have fewer prerequisites to complete than those with undergraduate degrees less related to CCEE. Applicants with non-CCEE degrees or with deficient scores should check the (click this link:) potential prerequisites list here.
- If the applicant needs more than 15 units of prerequisites to remediate because their degree is outside of the CCEE majors, the applicant will not be considered for admission. However, prospective applicants with non-CCEE degrees are encouraged to contact the program's graduate advisor to define a plan to take courses even before applying to the MS program (to bring down the list of deficiences to a maximum of 15 units).
- An applicant may be also admitted conditionally if the student's GPA is slightly below the minimum required: 2.85 for US students and 3.0 for international students. In this case the student has to keep B or better grades in all 600 level courses during the first semester.
- Class schedules for the current and upcoming semesters are posted here: https://sunspot.sdsu.edu/schedule/search
- Please note that meeting minimum eligibility requirements does not guarantee admission to the MS program.
Please note the following:
- Please review the Graduate Admissions Criteria and follow the steps provided on the SDSU International Graduate website: https://arweb.sdsu.edu/es/admissions/international/grad/index.html Inquires about the process for international applicants should be sent directly to the International Admissions Department at
- The Financial Statement Form required of foreign applicants is available online at http://arweb.sdsu.edu/es/admissions/international/financial-statement.html
- Prospective international students visiting campus can meet with a designated person helping international students during regular office hours at the Prospective Student Center (Monday-Friday from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm).
- Engineering Scholarships: Please visit the University’s Financial Aid and Scholarships website http://go.sdsu.edu/student_affairs/financialaid/scholarships.aspx for more information on the various scholarship and financial aid opportunities available. Scholarships are awarded based on various criteria including academic excellence, career plans, membership in organizations, financial need, and city/area of origin. There are thousands of dollars in scholarships available for you to consider. We encourage you to apply!