Frequently Asked Questions

Admissions and Course Transfer Related Questions

Admissions are usually for Fall. The deadlines may be different for domestic and international students. For details, visit the Graduate Affairs website.

Your record remains in the Graduate School for one year. If you want to reactivate your file, you have to pay the application fee again. Your file will be re-examined and you will be notified of the outcome officially.

You can be out of the system for one semester after being a regular student for at least a semester. If you have to stay out for another semester, you must contact the Admission office and fill out a special request form. Usually a break is easily granted. If you stay out for more than two semesters in succession, you have to reapply. Of course, your old courses may still be applicable towards your degree if they are not more than six years old.

No! Go to Graduate School and fill out a special form. Your record at SDSU will be routed through proper channels and you will be considered for admission like any other applicant.

The minimum varies from year to year. We expect higher GRE if GPA is near the minimum, and vice versa. The minimum required combined GRE score, based on the new GRE scale, will likely be around 305 and 3.5 for analytical writing.

Applicants whose major education has been in a language other than English must score 550 or higher (using the paper version) or 80 or higher (using the Internet version) on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), or 6.5 or better on the International English Language Testing System (IELTS).

For students from US universities a GPA of 2.85 is required. For students from universities outside the US, a 3.0 is the minimum. Exceptional students who have done very well in the GRE but have fell a little below these requirements may be considered for conditional admission.

If your scores are very good in Quantitative and Analytical parts, you may be admitted with the condition that you get a better score in the Verbal part. If after trying repeatedly you fail to do so, while getting good grades in your coursework, you may be asked to take a remedial Technical Writing class RWS 503. You must get a B or better grade in that class.

Yes, you can transfer a maximum of nine units from another accredited university if the courses satisfy SDSU's requirements.

  • Four quarter system course units typically count as 2 units. Since you can transfer max of nine units, you can transfer 4 or 5 such courses from quarter systems. If you want to transfer 10 units, you have to ask Grad Affairs (by completing the Petition for Adjustment of Academic Requirements form ) to allow you to transfer the extra 1 unit since you have exceeded the allowable 9 units.
  • SDSU students can register for UCSD classes through the UCSD Exchange Agreement program by dually registering at both schools. This exchange program allows SDSU students to take UCSD classes without paying additional fee to UCSD. Students who don't go through this exchange agreement program will have to pay UCSD fees. Students cannot take more than one course per semester through the UCSD Exchange Agreement program. Course that a student wants to take through the UCSD Exchange Agreement program have to be listed on POS.  Link for form to take classes at UCSD: files/graduate/SDSU% 20Exchange%20Form.pdf

Yes. You can take classes through what is called Open University and apply one semester worth of such classes towards your Masters. It does not matter how many classes you take, but it cannot span more than a semester. For more info on Open University classes contact Open University Program, Extended Studies, Gateway Center, SDSU.

Transfer of units is not easy. You have to formally apply to the CCEE Graduate Adviser with all the evidence (transcript, description of the course, etc.) and submit a Petition for Adjustment of Academic Requirements for Master's Degree. Upon receiving this petition, the Graduate Adviser sends his/her recommendation to the Graduate School where the final decisions are made. You can only transfer a maximum of nine units.

Class/Test Related Questions

You should register for CIV E/ ENV E 799A or 799B (if you have already taken CIV E/ ENV E 799A) if you are going to submit the thesis in a particular semester. If you are not enrolled in either, the Graduate Division will not accept your thesis.

You need to have a minimum overall GPA of 2.85 (that includes all courses taken at SDSU since you joined the program) and a minimum GPA of 3.0 in the POS courses.

A student cannot repeat a course that have been taken as part of the official master's degree program unless when the minimum grade requirement is not satisfied. Before you retake the course, you need to Petition for Adjustment of Academic Requirements to include the 3 units (to exceed 30 units).

Your POS GPA will reflect only the later grade whereas your overall GPA will carry the earlier and the later grades.

You must complete any course listed on your official POS with a grade of C or better. Note that no course can be deleted from an official program of study after the course has been completed.

You need to maintain grade point averages of at least 3.0 (B) in all courses listed on the official degree program. Also, a grade point average of at least 2.85 must be maintained in all courses on the graduate record. No transfer or extension credit may be used to improve the grade point average of units completed whether computed to determine the average on the official degree program or the overall average.

CIV E/ENV E 799A (Thesis) Related Questions

You should register for CIV E/ ENV E 799A during the semester you expect to submit your thesis, defend it and graduate.

Yes, you must already be classified, filed your POS, have been advanced to candidacy, and have an approved thesis committee form.

If this happens you should register for CIV E/ ENV E 799B, in the subsequent semester. This course is an extension of CIV E/ ENV E 799A and does not carry units of credit. If you are not enrolled in either of these courses, the graduate division will not accept your thesis.


Thesis Committee Form Related Questions

You should complete your thesis committee form with your thesis advisor and submit it to the Graduate Division only after you have been advanced to candidacy.

No, your thesis committee form must have already been filed with the graduate division and have already been approved before you will be allowed to register for CIV E/ ENV E 799A.

No. If you have two CCEE thesis advisers (i.e. one is the advisor and the other the co-advisor), then you will need a third CCEE committee member, in addition to the external committee member.

Program of Study (POS) Related Questions

This is a form that you complete which lists the courses that you intend to be taking in order to graduate. It is in fact your course plan for graduation.

Yes. But any change made to the Official POS after it is approved must be made on either a Request for Change of Official Program if the request is within the Graduate Bulletin requirements or a Petition for Adjustment of Academic Requirements if the request is outside of the Graduate Bulletin requirements.

A course completed prior to seven years from the date on which the official master's degree program is approved cannot be accepted.

You need to discuss your POS with your thesis or research advisor before meeting with the Graduate Adviser to file the form electronically. Your adviser will be the best person to help you select the courses most helpful for your thesis or project.

If a student wants to make changes to the Official POS after it has been approved and the courses have not yet been completed, the student may do so by submitting a Petition for Adjustment of Academic Requirements form, with consent from his/her thesis adviser.